Why is there no confirm to delete row in timesheet

• Idea
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Planned
A user is able to delete a row in their time distribution grid, even if hours are saved, without the tool confirming that deletion is ok.

The 'clear all' function asks if you are sure, but an individual row does not.
With the auto-save function there is no undo for the users.
This is an issue as the user may not know what information is needed to re-create the entries, if they even notice that the row has gone.

Can this be resolved?
Photo of Travis, Claire

Travis, Claire

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

Aashnee Kamboj, Community Moderator

• 1617 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Hi Claire,

Thank you for reporting this.

I will have this discussed internally and update you accordingly

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Charlene Eriksen

Charlene Eriksen, Product Manager

• 366 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Hi Claire, 

I think this is one of those things that people have differing opinions on. Some people would like a confirmation and some find them cumbersome. I'll leave this post open and we'll see if other customers have thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Charlene
Photo of Travis, Claire

Travis, Claire

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It would be great if other customers would need this too. I would hope that customers would find confirmation that they are about to delete hours logged reassuring rather than cumbersome.

Although it would be great to see all rows to be deleted confirmed this could be limited to just those with hours saved; As the 'Classic' version does now.

Maybe customers could turn on new functionality like this in template configuration. Then customers can choose to use it or not.
Photo of Lo, Wai

Lo, Wai

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I was just about to submit this as a new idea but found this request.  

This has also been raised by our senior management team as an issue.  I agree that the Gen4 timesheet makes it too easy for entire lines of timesheet data to be deleted with no way of retrieving this or re-entering it easily. 

Perhaps where data is present a confirmation prompt should appear before deletion or provide administrators with the ability to enable/disable the deletion prompt. 

Please could this be reconsidered for future releases
Photo of Bann, David

Bann, David

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Agreed, this is a problem and a huge frustration for some of our staff who have mistakenly deleted a row that was already filled with time and comments. It is then a real challenge to remember all the comments that were entered. 
Photo of Meyer, Philipp

Meyer, Philipp

• 32 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I add myself to the list of people  (and organisations) that would appreciate this feature.
We had this issue several times that a user deleted a row accidentaly and lost the booking including comments!
Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I would also like to add my company to this list of requesting a confirmation button. Folks can get "click happy" and accidentally delete their rows. 

If the concern is that some people find it cumbersome, is this at least something that can be toggled on and off by user by an Admin?
Photo of Cepek, Mykenna

Cepek, Mykenna

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just accidentally deleted a row with plenty of comments and hour data. SUPER FRUSTRATING to have to redo all that work, especially as I am trying to leave for the weekend. It would be ok not to have a confirmation dialog, but then have an UNDO to get that lost work back. Accidents happen -- don't turn them into customers hating your product.
Photo of Travis, Claire

Travis, Claire

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This idea I posted 8 months ago now is still marked as "not planned" to be resolved. I think we need more customers to support this upgrade request before anything happens and it is considered. We are sticking with the older version (where there is validation) until it is fixed.
Photo of Charlene Eriksen

Charlene Eriksen, Product Manager

• 366 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for adding your voice here. Definitely looks like this impacts many people. I have changed this to Planned and will look for some time to slot it in late in Q3 or early in Q4. 

Just to give you some background, I'm not sure a confirmation is the best choice here. We find those quickly become ignored and if you are deleting many rows in succession, it might be bothersome for some users. What I'd like to implement is an undo option for deletes. Unfortunately, this increases the scope which makes it not as easy to fit this in. I will do some more thinking on this for quicker solutions that avoid some of the issues I raised.

Thanks,
Charlene
(Edited)
Photo of Travis, Claire

Travis, Claire

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Great this is being looked at but undo is only any use if you know you have deleted something. I believe we just need “are you sure” for rows with hours recorded, like classic version. Then the user should not be deleting them! So it should not be bothersome just improve data completeness. Undo also will be compromised by the auto-save function. Please just consider a check on filled rows a little like on the confirmation box on the whole page clear button and that I still have in classic. Thanks
Photo of Cepek, Mykenna

Cepek, Mykenna

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Charlene, I appreciate your interest in this issue, and thanks for sharing your initial thinking on it.

To brainstorm a bit more with you... what about something like a "hidden row" feature instead? Rows that are hidden would show greyed out and would not be editable unless un-hidden. Hidden rows would not be submitted, but would be saved and rolled forward into future timesheets.

This type of approach would help solve this accidental delete problem by making it completely appropriate to use a confirmation dialog for deletion of any row (hidden or not). Also, hidden rows could be a new feature, holding common hour logging or projects which aren't needed every week. Finally, it's a more visible alternative to "undo" which can only be LIFO (last-in, first-out) and is relatively invisible.

Visually, I'd replace the (X) on the right side of each row with a checkbox, and two action buttons: Hide/Unhide and Delete which show just above the row grid, and generally above the new column of checkboxes.

And then, as a future wish-list item, action buttons for "Move Up" and "Move Down" would be very welcome -- to rearrange selected rows. I know I've wished for that feature as well.
Photo of Lo, Wai

Lo, Wai

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I agree with Claire Travis.  The undo button will only work if you know you've deleted something.  I think a simple confirmation step is enough and is not really too bothersome if deleting lots of rows
Photo of Cepek, Mykenna

Cepek, Mykenna

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Folks interested in making progress on this issue: PLEASE VOTE FOR IT! Thanks from all of us on this thread.