Totals for billable and non-billable hours on custom timesheets

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
On the old timesheets, there was a field on the upper right side that showed the totals of billable and non-billable hours for the week. Unfortunately this valuable feature is missing on the custom timesheet template. We would appreciate if you are able to add this. Ideally it would show the total hours and the billability percentage.
Photo of Meyer, Philipp

Meyer, Philipp

• 58 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
  • in desperate need of this ;-)

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

Aashnee Kamboj

• 1657 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Hi Philipp,

Currently you can include Payroll Summary widget to view the distribution of your Regular Hours, Overtime Hours and time off hours. We will have the availability of the billable and non billable hours discussed internally and update the thread accordingly.

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Derek

Derek, Product Manager

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Philipp,

This would make a good improvement. It's not something we have planned currently but I'll leave this marked as Under Consideration and we'll review during future planning sessions.

Derek
Photo of Bann, David

Bann, David

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I completely agree with this idea - old timesheets made it much simpler to get a quick view on billable vs. non-billable. Now we have to view this info in the team tab before entering the actual timesheet. It's a small thing to add, but it make the user experience that much better :)
Photo of Wright, Meg

Wright, Meg

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Having just moved from Gen 2 to Gen 3 - we find the loss of the Billable/Nonbillable totals ON the timesheet is really missed.   
Photo of Paulette Jones

Paulette Jones

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Timesheet display summary of billable and non-billable hours.

Hi. I am seriously missing the display of billable and non-billable hours on staff timesheets when I review them for approval. This information used to give me a quick overview of how much billable work each person has, which helps with resource allocation and identifying performance issues and gave me a heads up as to whether I need to examine a timesheet in greater detail. As I have to manually check billable vs non-billable hours, approving timesheets is taking me a lot longer than it used to. Is there any chance this function could be added in the future?
Photo of Vinodh.V

Vinodh.V, Community Moderator

• 315 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hello Jones,

Thank you for prioritizing this functionality.

This is marked as under consideration and we will share the update once this is available.

We suggest you sign up for the release notes to be updated on the changes.

We appreciate your time and efforts to post this feature.

Regards,

Vinodh.V
Photo of Ogden, Will

Ogden, Will

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Differentiating between total billable and non-billable time booked to individual....

On our current custom timesheet template, we have the Progress bar showing the total hours booked to that task out of the allocated budget. This is great at showing the remaining budget, however, we have a problem when we start overspending. Usually, we cannot allocate more time to a task, and so we start booking time as non-billable instead of billable. Unfortunately, this is picked up by the progress bar, which now shows (e.g.) 120 out of 100.

I think it would be a good idea to have a bar or counter displaying the billable hours against the billable budget, and a counter for the non-billable hours booked, alongside the progress bar on each task within timesheets, so we can keep an easy eye on the billable vs non-billable spend on each task without having to run reports.
Photo of Bann, David

Bann, David

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I don't agree that this request is the same as the one it has been merged with. While they do seem similar, this one relates to the progress bar and also to validation. If we have a validation rule that prevents timesheet submissions when the estimated hours are exceeded, then any non-billable hours throws off the validation.

For example, the total estimated hours is 100. Employee bills 80 billable hours, and 20 non-billable hours (perhaps they are learning and did not feel it fair to bill all their time as billable). Now the estimate has been reached and the validation rule will prevent submitting the timesheet if more hours are captured, even though there are still 20 billable hours remaining on the task.
Photo of Vinodh.V

Vinodh.V, Community Moderator

• 315 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hello David,

Thank you for the response.

As per Will's requirement, the timesheet must show details about the Billable and Non-Billable hours and I have merged it for the second part(counter to display the Billable and Non-Billable hours.).

If there is a Validation rule requirement, then I completely agree with you.

Please do let me know if you have the validation requirement so I can create a new post for this.

Regards,

Vinodh.V
Photo of Bann, David

Bann, David

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Perhaps Will can give comment on if he agrees that his request is merged with this one?

From my perspective, there is a valid case for the splitting of billable vs non-billable hours for validation rules and for the progress bars. https://community.replicon.com/replicon/topics/only-take-billable-time-into-account-for-project-task-estimates-validation
Photo of Ogden, Will

Ogden, Will

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We haven't put validation rules on (like the one you mentioned) for the specific reason that when we go over we are unable to submit the timesheet, so I would agree with you David that this is a validation issue, with ongoing tracking on the timesheet itself.
Photo of Ogden, Will

Ogden, Will

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Differentiating between total billable and non-billable time booked to individual....

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Differentiating between total billable and non-billable time booked to individual....On our current custom timesheet template, we have the Progress bar showing the total hours booked to that task out of the allocated budget. This is great at showing the remaining budget, however, we have a problem when we start overspending. Usually, we cannot allocate more time to a task, and so we start booking time as non-billable instead of billable. Unfortunately, this is picked up by the progress bar, which now shows (e.g.) 120 out of 100.

I think it would be a good idea to have a bar or counter displaying the billable hours against the billable budget, and a counter for the non-billable hours booked, alongside the progress bar on each task within timesheets, so we can keep an easy eye on the billable vs non-billable spend on each task without having to run reports.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Totals for billable and non-billable hours on custom timesheets.