How to resolve the "Excel cannot open the file" Microsoft Excel error while opening a Scheduled Report

• Article
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
You receive an email with a scheduled report and you try opening the same in Microsoft Excel however, receive an error saying

"Excel cannot open the file "January 2016 Round 1 Extract.xlsx" because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

The error is caused due to the following possible reasons:
  • The file is not compatible with the version of Excel that is used.
  • You can't use any of the following characters in a file name: \ / ? : * " > < |. Make sure excel file name doesn't contain any of these characters.
  • We see this issue most often with emailed Excel files - especially forwards of forwards. 
  • If this excel file is being edited by multiple people running different versions of Excel. 
In order to resolve the error try performing the below mentioned steps:

• Change the File Extension of Your Excel Sheet: Sometimes, the problem is seen due to the unsupported file extension of your Excel file. To check the support of xlsx extension, go to 'My Computer'. Browse 'Tools >> Folder Options >> File Types'. Check if 'xlsx' extension is included there or not. If not, then rename this file and change '.xlsx' to '.xls'.

• Use 'Open and Repair' Option of MS Excel: For this, open Excel, and then go to 'File >> Open'. Select the file that you want to open, but do not double-click it. Go to the 'Open' drop-down provided in the 'Open' dialogue box, and then select 'Open and Repair' option from there. This process repairs the corrupt Excel sheet and opens it normally.

Photo of Kiran Kulkarni

Kiran Kulkarni, Product Champion

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ranganath R

Ranganath R

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Kiran,

That was helpful I would request you to provide your contact number so that I can call you and get assistance from you directly
(Edited)
Photo of Raghu K

Raghu K, Community Moderator

• 162 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks for your comment Ranganath R. (We have edited your comment)