Fixed-price project with milestone invoices

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Currently fixed-price projects can only be setup with fixed weekly or monthly invoice amounts. We have many projects that are fixed-price and with irregular invoices based on milestones. For example, 3 invoices with one at the beginning, middle and end of the project. We'd like to be able to use Replicon to manage planned invoices, but currently have to do that in a separate system outside of Replicon.
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 18 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Lingaraj Dharwad

Lingaraj Dharwad, Product Champion

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for using Replicon community,

We are reviewing your idea.

Thanks,
Lingaraj
Photo of Nicole Kroosz

Nicole Kroosz

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi LIngaraj

Our company is looking for something like this as well.  Although we bill percentage complete for each category/task on a fixed bid project on a monthly basis.  So not exactly like milestones but similar.

Also, our fixed bid projects almost always have multiple categories/tasks that make up the whole contract, each of those has a fixed amount correlated with it.  Is there a way to bill multiple categories at once by a percentage?  I think right now we can only enter a single amount within the Billing Rates tab of each Project. Which would mean that we would need to track/figure out everything manually outside of Replicon and then just enter the final amount for billing.  Is this correct?  If so a few issues with this being the customer would not see all pertinent info that make up the invoice amount and it is a very manual process.

Finally, we also bill a deposit for all fixed bid contracts then deduct a portion of the deposit on progress billings on a pro-rata basis.  Does Replicon currently have a process to handle this? 

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Nicole

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Nicole,

At the moment percentage billing isn't available for multiple categories at once. Having said that I have requested Sangeet to add his comments on this to see if this is something that can be considered for the new invoicing system. 

Thanks,
Lingaraj

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Nicole,

Could you provide us with few sample projects so that our PM team can review them? 

These can be in a screenshot format or in a doc. 

Thanks,
Lingaraj
Photo of Nicole Kroosz

Nicole Kroosz

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Lingaraj

Below are two links for projects with multiple Task/Categories... each of the tasks has it's own fixed price that then add up to make the total contract color of the project. 

Almost all of our projects are Fixed Bid. If this moves forward we would also need to add a category for billing the Deposit. We bill on a monthly basis progressively as we complete %'s of each task, and on each invoice we also deduct the proportionate amount of deposit.  So if between all the categories lets say that the overall contract is 40% complete, then we would discount the invoice by 40% of the deposit.

A thought on how to accomplish this would be in the setup of each Task there would be a Contract Amount field to enter the appropriate price.  Then in the Billing Section the user can input the Amount Billed to Date, % Billed to Date, Current % Billed, and Current Amount Billed for each task including the Deposit when they want to create the invoice.  This would create a very complete invoice in Replicon.  I suppose all users would not need the fields so maybe they should be an option to use them or not.

Further, if Replicon could keep track of % complete billed on each task that would be pretty cool as well.  I am sure this would come in handy for reporting and resources management.

Can I send you a copy of one of our invoices via email or private conversation?  I think it would help in understanding the process and what we are looking for as an end product.

https://themcbridecompany.box.com/s/qy4wnn6oood3twkotpv24zdav85mf4e2

https://themcbridecompany.box.com/s/pw43gy36d6c4207ry40kj98anize7kam

Thanks for much for  considering this!

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Nicole,

Thank you for sharing this. This has been forwarded to the concerned PM for review. 

Regards,
Lingaraj
Photo of Nicole Kroosz

Nicole Kroosz

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Lingaraj - I am available on Thursday 11/12 from 8-4 est

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Nicole,

I have sent the invite for 9:30am EST tomorrow.

Thanks,
Lingaraj 

• 1100 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Sorry the invite is for Friday 13th, 9:30am EST.
(Edited)
Photo of Nicole Kroosz

Nicole Kroosz

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
yes that is fine unless you would like to move it to this afternoon
Photo of Sangeet Saurabh

Sangeet Saurabh

• 53 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for submitting the feedback - Milestone based billing is on our roadmap.

Regards,
Sangeet
Photo of kdurliat

kdurliat

• 33 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Please advise if there are any updates on this topic.  We, too, have projects that have milestone-based billing (for example, 15% down, 25% upon reaching the first, second, and third milestones, and the remaining 10% upon completion).

Anthony, what you are doing as a work-around in the meantime?  Are you treating as T&M with invoice adjustments, or is there a better way?

Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 18 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
We setup all of our projects as T&M, since we don't have any that have the "regular fixed amount" pattern that the Replicon "fixed price" project requires. Unfortunately, we have to manage our planned invoice schedule in a separate system outside of Replicon, and we don't then rely on the invoicing amounts in Replicon. It's really messy, hence my request of Replicon to fix this.
Photo of kdurliat

kdurliat

• 33 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Anthony, sadly it sounds like we are in the same boat.

Replicon, I (and I'm sure Anthony) would be happy to consult with you on capabilities that a "typical" billing system has, when you get to that point.

Photo of Sangeet Saurabh

Sangeet Saurabh

• 53 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Official Response
Thanks Anthony/Kdurliat for submitting the feedback. We are currently working on invoicing and milestone billing is on our roadmap. I will love to chat with you and understand your requirements. Somebody from support team will reach out to you and schedule a call - I look forward to chatting with you.

Thanks,
Sangeet
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 18 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thank you Sangeet. I would be happy to provide my input with regard to our requirements related to this feature.

Essentially, when we setup a fixed-price project, we would like to be able to specify a milestone-based invoice schedule (not the fixed weekly or monthly invoices, as currently). Each invoice in that schedule should include a date, an invoice amount, and an optional name/comment (i.e. "Milestone #1 of 3").

I'd be glad to talk through this further with your team, so please reach out to schedule a call.
Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

Aashnee Kamboj, Community Moderator

• 1657 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Hi Anthony,

We will soon be doing a webinar on the new invoicing system. We will update the thread with details.

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Carolyn Tate

Carolyn Tate

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
1)We do fixed price invoicing based on % milestones when we obviously hit that milestone. We do not nessecarily have a date associated with it. At one stage we were creating several fixed price projects with each representing a milestone linking them together with an individual program. It became way to cumbersome to manage so this was abandoned.
2)We also do projects that are a mixture of fixed price with milestones and have specific tasks that are T&M components.
3)we also do standard T&M billing and T&M capped billing
4)each of our consultants work on many projects at once and because Repilcon locks out an entire time sheet if you bill only 1 client on that timesheet it means we cannot invoice anything at the moment as must be able to maintain those timesheet entries that are not invoiced.
Just all the standard Professional services invoicing. Unfortunately none of the above works with Repilcon in its current state and I have had discussions with Repilcon particularly about the last item as that is the essence of a time sheet and billing system. We are currently exporting all T&M timesheets and having to manually reconcile T&M to work out what to manually invoice. Hence we have to search for any times sheets that missed being invoiced manually as we cannot invoice through Repilcon (that would mark each individual entry as invoiced) due to its lockout of entire timesheets.
Photo of Bunk, Adam

Bunk, Adam

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Has there been an updated on this from Replicon since the last post on this thread? Thanks.
Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

• 1657 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Hi Adam,

We are planning a webinar on the new invoicing system. We will update the thread with details.

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Nicole Kroosz

Nicole Kroosz

• 36 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
awesome
Photo of Peter Flinn

Peter Flinn

• 42 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When will this be implemented?
Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

• 1657 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Hi Peter,

We are awaiting for the Webinar team for the same. I will update all the details

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Aashnee Kamboj

• 1657 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
HI All,

Please use the below link for the webinar details:

https://community.replicon.com/replicon/topics/replicon-invites-you-for-a-live-demo-on-our-enhanced-...

Thanks,
Aashnee
Photo of Dent, Caroline

Dent, Caroline

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Any updates on fixed price billing enhancements?

We have 2 requirements

1. To bill against a milestone/milestone fee.  These do not have time periods to bill against.
2. To have mixed fixed price/T&M tasks within one project.