Emailing reports

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Not Planned
I knew exactly what the problem was before the call... the program requires you to save the report before you can email it or it emails the previous report (not the one that shows on your screen). This is NOT intuitive - as the report on the screen is the one that prints, down loads, etc... it is only when emailing does it revert to the previously saved report. The help desk person as well didn't know that it did this until I showed it to him (he first thought maybe it was a browser issue). So if it is not intuitive to your help desk staff it definately won't be intuitive to users. I am sure many incorrect reports are emailed by mistake (Maybe not even knowing that the incorrect report was mailed). My solution would be to have a warning message appear BEFORE you can email stating you must save the report prior to emailing.
Photo of Daria Taylor

Daria Taylor

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • that many people send the wrong report without even knowing it.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Raghu K

Raghu K, Community Moderator

• 163 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Hi Daria, 

Thanks for your Replicon Community.

We are currently reviewing this functionality and shall keep you posted.

Thanks,
Raghu K 
Photo of Naveen Chander

Naveen Chander, Product Manager

• 39 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Official Response
Hello Daria,

I understand the issue and agree with you. The intuitiveness of the email functionality in Reports needs some improvement, so that this aspect is more apparent. At this time, the email engine is only able to read the saved state of the report and any changes made to the report settings in the UI is not accessible to the email engine until the report is saved.

That being said, this is something that we will consider for future releases.

Thank you again for posting.

Regards,

Naveen
Product Manager
(Edited)
Photo of Network Administrator

Network Administrator

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes

Here is a solution/work around.  Too bad Replicon isn't the one to provide you with the answer. 

You can set a schedule for a report, make it recurring daily or however you like.  Enter the people to receive the scheduled report, choose PDF or Excel, and your done. 

Now the report will be generated at the scheduled time, and emailed to the people you choose. 

Photo of Daria Taylor

Daria Taylor

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That work around does work - but not for the one of reports that someone wants.  It is more work to schedule a one time report than it is just to save it.
Photo of Network Administrator

Network Administrator

• 89 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Gotcha.  Didn't realize it was a one-time report. 
Photo of Ann McWhirter

Ann McWhirter

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

I had the same issue some considerable months ago which I thought was accepted as a "bug" and to be fixed only to find some months later that its not been fixed.

The engineering team do not seem to realise that an "as per design" does not always mean that its a suitable feature for the end user and REALLY need to start listening to the end users of their product.

If you have a large user base then this bug could result in a broadcast email to all the users with meaningless information.  This is what happened to me and I sent a report on timesheets for ALL for a time period way back in the past because I used a report owned by another, changed the filters and then selected the email icon to send the report to all listed in the report. the report should have contained a handful of users instead it was emailed to 80+ staff.

Replicon try to justify that the email functionality only works on the owner of the report configuration as the request is queued and report re-generated but my argument (which fell on deaf ears - as usual) is that if they do not supply the filter details with the scheduled task to ensure the correct report is generated and emailed then they should NOT offer the email functionality of a report you DO NOT OWN!

Does anybody get passed the "as per the design" when a feature is obviously wrong?

Photo of Charlene Eriksen

Charlene Eriksen, Product Manager

• 413 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Hi Ann,

I agree with you that "as per design" doesn't work in this case. I view this as more of a limitation of the design, not something we've specifically set out to do. I understand how it could be frustrating and unintuitive. If you hear something is "as per design" in future, feel free to post on the community so your concerns are heard directly by our Product Management team.

Thanks,
Charlene
Photo of Daria Taylor

Daria Taylor

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
All things can be worked around usually - but "worked around" isn't always the easiest or best solution.    I guess its hard to be all things to everyone - as we all have different wants, needs and expectations.
Photo of Ann McWhirter

Ann McWhirter

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Discussed the issue with the support team in more detail and it was suggested to document what was a possible way forward for this:-

If you are the owner of the report, have changed the filters and then selected the email icon then you should be prompted to SAVE the report with a warning that report generated is based upon the saved settings.

If you are not the owner of the report, have changed the filter settings, and then selected the email icon then you should be prompted to SAVE A COPY and a warning that the report generated is based upon the saved settings. Upon proceeding with the emailing of the report, the report placed in the queue should be the  SAVE A COPY version if a copy was saved.

Photo of Ann McWhirter

Ann McWhirter

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Is there any progress on this issue.
Photo of Karen Chao

Karen Chao, Product Manager

• 117 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Hi All, 

Changes to this are currently not planned. We can re-consider addressing this in the future. 

Thanks, Karen
Photo of Ann McWhirter

Ann McWhirter

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Why is this set to "NOT PLANNED" when its obviously a bug?

Can dev team re-look again!

Photo of Ann McWhirter

Ann McWhirter

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

My annual review of outstanding issues.  So far very little has changed in 3 years.

Any change on this bug?